Below are steps to contact Social Security customer service and get a live person on the phone:
- Dial 1-800-772-1213
- Say “speak to a representative”
- Then say “continue”
- Then say “yes”
- After that, the automated phone system will connect you to a live customer service agent from Social Security
Social Security Voice Main Menu
- Say “Claim Status”
- Say “Update personal information”
- Say “New or replacement Cards”
- Say “Medicare”
- Say “Office Locations”
- Say “Setup or change direct deposit”
- Say “Apply for Benefits”
- Say “Request a proof of income letter”
- Say “Get a replacement 1099 statement”
- Say “Direct deposit”
- Say “Proof of Income”
Social Security Customer Service Representatives Hours
Live Social Security customer service is available from 7am through 7pm EST on Monday-Friday.
Social Security Support Phone Numbers
- Social Security Support Phone Number: 1-800-772-1213. Live Social Security customer service is available from 7am through 7pm EST on Monday-Friday.
- Deaf or hard of hearing: 1-800-325-0778.
Social Security Web Links
- Social Security Official Web Site
- Social Security Facebook page
- Social Security Twitter page
- Social Security Youtube page
Social Security Mailing Address
Social Security Administration:
Office of Public Inquiries
1100 West High Rise
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
Social Security support email
You can to send an email to Social Security support here.
Social Security Live Chat Support
Live chat customer service option is not supported by Social Security. To contact a live customer service representative you need to dial 1-800-772-1213 and follow instructions above.
How do I speak to a live person if Social Security contact number is not working?
It is possible that contact number may become disconnected or overloaded when number of calls is just too high. During such events we recommend to use other shortcuts to get help quickly:
- Connect to a live chat on a Social Security website.
- Open Social Security Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other supported social network and send a direct message there.
- If e-mail address is available send an e-mail. It is possible that e-mail may be answered quicker than getting through a phone support and you will have something in written to which you can refer later in your communication.